- Products & Services
- Sales & Marketing
- Photo Gallery
- Contact Us
Malabar Spinning and Weaving Mills
Malabar Spinning &Weaving mill is the most modern spinning mill under Kerala State Textile Corporation. Malabar mills is having a capacity of 25344 spindles capable of producing a wide range of products which meet the international quality standards.
M/s Malabar Spinning & Weaving mill was the first industry in Malabar area and first textile mill in Kerala started in 1890 by the ownership of DesamangalamMr. Narayanan Nampoothirippad in the name of ‘Malabar Spinning and Weaving Company Limited’ at Kozhippurathu family’s 14.75 acres of land by means of loan basis ( PattaKarar) for about 99 years. Now this place is known as ‘Kottummal’ (early it was cotton mill).
In 1908 Company made a Hospital usingits own fund at Panniyankara in the name of “Prince of wails” and donated to state government. The hospital is still working under the custody of Kozhikode Corporation.
The General manger Mr Abdul kalimintroduced ‘fine’ system on 1925for employees who were doing malpractices.Five off days per year were given to employees during the year 1918.Provide generator for operating the machines in 1921, which were worked by steam engines.Work hours were fixed to 10 hrs per day by the General Manager Mr. H V Hawuth in 1930 and pay fixed to 3 paisa per 100 ‘Rathal’ yarn per month and cancelled the fine system.
Installed 19540 spindles and pay scale increased to 5.5 paisa per month on 1932. During this period the workers started labour union by communist party under the leadership of Mr. P Krishnapillai , Mr. A K Gopalan and Mr. NC Shekaran. In 1934 there was a strike was called on by this unions for increment and the mill closed for about 45 days. Finally company agreed for salary hike and the union called off the strike.
During the Second world war(1939) the company released around 10 lakhto government.It was the first and the only company who paid professional tax to the government.
In 1948 the salary increased to 22 paisa from 5.5 paisa was paid on the basis of DA. Second shift was started in the year 1950 with a new electricity connection. Provident fund act and ESI act were adopted during 1952-53. Started weaving section on 1953.Due to financial crisis Mill closed in 1958 and government took charge in 1959 withan amount of 5 lakh rupees as share capital. Mr. P S SomasundaramChettiyar returned the money and tookover the mill.
Afterwards due to the inexperience and financial crisis, the mill was closed several times and Government of Keralavested the charge of mill to Kerala State Textile Corporation in1978. Then Mr. V S Desheekan took charge as Chairman cum-Managing Director of the Corporation. During his ruling period, the mill condition was improved and lot of renovations were done, like higher productivity through new machines, different products, workload agreements for employees etc.
On 01 Sept 1983 mill was taken over by Government of Kerala andrenamed the mill as MALABAR SPINNING AND WEAVING MILLS. The mill closed again in 2003 due to the financial crisis and it was reopened on December 2006. After re opening the mill renovated as a Modern and Model mill.
Malabar Mills installed a wide range of latest computer based imported machines, which was a Greenfield project. Malabar Millswas equipped with fully automated humidification systems for user-friendly atmosphere to employees leads to increased productivity. The millachieved SITRA standardsin productivityandusing the latest technology Autoconer of SAVIO eithLoephe clearer and KinariwalaEYC’s to ensure the quality of the end product.
Corporation has a policy of sourcing raw materials from Core Suppliers whom we have a working relationship of more than 25 years. We adhere to strict quality standards right from the stage of procuring raw materials to the final product.We produce quality yarn and fabric at the minimum cost.Workers were given proper training and continuous evaluation implemented in order to maintain the quality.
The cards are fully automatic and micro processor controlled. The digitally controlled servo drive, short and long term auto leveler, the perfect feeding system, T-Con, Magnotop, continuous waste suction help to achieve superior quality of the output in the subsequent operations and in the final yarn quality. The mixing system assures controlled, reproducible mixing for best homogeneousness. The cleaner is installed in such a way to achieve a high degree of cotton opening whereby the opening degree optimally suited the gentle carding. The polarized light technology enables to detect invisible objects thereby clean the raw material for better quality.
Fusion Twister help us for optimal quality of cross-wound packages. The Two-for-One Twisting spindle achieves low yarn tension. The high quality yarn produced with super high speed is advanced through optimal spinning geometry, e-lifting and easy to use function panel. The machine is capable of combining compatibility with superior quality for cotton to synthetic fibre and definitely coarse yarn to fine yarn. The automatic winder assures the demand of consistent and perfect package quality. Each single head in the winding system act as a technological laboratory to ensure the total quality of the wound yarn.A basket geometry in the doffer is used to store different tubes conicity with no parts change and to allow the easy tube colour recognition when different yarns are processed on same machine. We are using rings and travellers with a reduction of the friction coefficient to the lowest level in order to get the perfect balanced spinning geometry. The traveller driving angle less stress peaks, reduction of the end breaks and reduced hairiness produce higher yarn quality. We are using state-of-the-art draw frame technology in order to monitor the sliver meter by meter to meet the self-set quality standards.